Saturday, January 5, 2019

Welcome 2019 with some traveling tips

It has been already five days since we started the new year, and every social media was flooded with resolutions, but it seemed like many people stopped doing them. It made me think that perhaps we all know how crammed our lives will begin to look like and every day brings a new goal and resolution.
One thing that me, as the Wandering Writer, could not forecast is how difficult it can be to approach an Embassy when you need to apply for a visa. The difficulties start to arise when in your country there isn't any embassy of the country you'd wish to visit.
I will explain better. Nigeria is one of the targets I have in mind to visit this year, but in my country, there isn't any Nigerian Embassy. This means that I need to send my application to a neighbor country and hope for the best.
I always feel nervous about sending sensitive documents like passports to another country. Despite the option of having your package insured, there is nothing that can guarantee that it won't go lost or stolen.
In this case, I need to rely on my good luck and be ready to inform the police about any problem that can arise.
In this case, the main difficulty was the contrasting information we received from different authorities. A visa service provider we used so far, claimed that there wasn't any chance to get a multi-entry visa and the cost would have been 250 USD, other were saying that we could get the visa on arrival, so understanding what really had to be done wasn't an easy task.
As I always say, whenever you need any information about visa, there is only one office that will tell you the truth, the Consular Service at the Embassy.
But when this might seem an easy task, wait. I have sent them at least three emails and public messages, but never a reply.
Days ago I tried to call them, but the first attempt didn't give any result as the line was closed. I waited for a couple of days more, and finally, it seemed like I could connect with someone, but when I was put in the queue, the line went off.
They said that perseverance lead farther than anything else, and finally, I could talk with someone at the embassy who explained to me what I had to send them by post.
By the way:
Fact number 1. Getting a multi-entry visa to Nigeria is POSSIBLE.
Fact number 2. You can send the documentation to an Embassy hosted by another country by post.
Fact number 3. It doesn't cost 250 USD, but 110 USD plus a 20 USD handling fee.
The verdict: always check the facts with the embassy and trust NOT the first visa service provider you get, as they might not even be aware of the possibilities you might have.
This is already the second time that I have to correct a visa service provider. I think I might start a business LOL.
So end of the story, check only the fact with the Embassy, wherever you need to go, don't stop your quest in the first office that is closer to you. You might end up spending too much money and getting the wrong service.
As I said in a previous post, of the 11/11/17, when we traveled to Russia and Chechnya, and the visa provider wanted us to pay for two visas, one for Russia and one for Chechnya.
I repeat it: know your stuff!
I wish you a great weekend! See you next week.

4 comments:

  1. I hope the next phase is easy as packing your bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, the other visas should be easier to get. ;-)

      Delete
  2. This is great information, thanks! I can see here again that perseverance furthers :-) Never ask only one source if you want the correct answer when researching something! I applaud your sticking to it.
    Maude

    ReplyDelete

The long road of writing a book.

Publishing a book is a journey on a rocky path that involves several stages, from writing and pre-editing to editing, formatting, selecting ...