Saturday, July 7, 2018

The W(o)ndering Writer is back!

I know I am late. Today nothing went according t the plans, at least time-wise, but even if a bit late, I am still going to bring you something from the deep of my considerations.
This is the time when I change once again my hat, and from a Wandering Writer, I transform into the "Wondering Writer."
Once I have mentioned that there is a very close connection between reading a story and watching images, whether they are pictures or paintings. I am still convinced that you can read a photograph or a drawing as much as you can watch a novel. The process is different, but the final result I guess it is the same.
Let's take a good book, the one you liked to read the most, what did it happen when you started to read the first chapter?
I tell you at least what happens to me, I start to see the places, even those that are very summarily described. Fast images, flashes or very defined ones. I see the actions described and the characters like in a movie. As the reading goes on, I can see everything as it would happen in front of my eyes.
Did this ever happen to you?

Something similar it can happen, and at least to me it does, when looking at pictures or paintings. I start to think about the places or the people, I imagine what happened before and after the shot was taken, what was that particular person considering at that moment, and how his or her life went on during the rest of the day.
For me, the world of the images and words are strictly connected with each other, and they tell stories and show you images.

I am a big fan of the Impressionists, and I am thinking about writing a short series based on a few selected paintings, but this is just only an idea in my mind, there are so many projects going on that I am afraid it must wait for its turn.

Here are a couple of examples that enticed me and forced my mind to think about the stories told through those images. Those are two of my favorite paintings, and there my soul found its freedom in imagining the life of those two women, their struggle, what were they thinking, their dreams. Every time I look at these two paintings, it is like opening a book, where I can read, or imagine the stories of these two women and how they ended up captured in the canvas.
The first is L'Absinthe of Degas,
The other is "The  woman with a parasol" of Monet
On the other hand, there are many books that could transport me in the story so profoundly to make me live, struggle, and see the actions, but perhaps the one that did the job better (because this is the first that comes to my mind) is... "the light that failed" by Rudyard Kipling.
 It was like watching a movie, and I enjoyed every image that book gave to me, besides the strong feelings. I have never seen the movie, and I prefer never to do so. I am afraid that it would spoil the images I have built in my mind. Besides, I am always disappointed when I read a book and then I watch a movie from it. The only exception was perhaps It Had to Be Murder by


1 comment:

  1. I wish you all the best to channel your ideas in proverbial "paper and ink".

    ReplyDelete

The long road of writing a book.

Publishing a book is a journey on a rocky path that involves several stages, from writing and pre-editing to editing, formatting, selecting ...