Saturday, April 25, 2020

finding time... or inspiration

Things have been changing so much, and with them, we tweaked our habits to adjust to the new routine.

For those who, like me, live close to the woods, escaping people and having the chance to spend some time outdoors had been easy. 
I found out that moving closer to the woods was the best idea ever, and now that choice is paying off. Nevertheless, even in this blessed condition, some restrictions keep bugging my daily schedule.
The routine around which my days were turning around had been impacted. The first thing to be affected negatively was the level of inspiration to write my books. All of a sudden, my imaginary friends went on quarantine.

Having my family living in another country, where the epidemics have stricken badly, kept my mind busy, guessing whether they were alright. Communications technology helped greatly to be reassured of loved ones' health status.
Yet, no inspiration.
I used to write 3000 words a day, keeping the weekends for marketing and household chores. Now everything seems to be upside down. 
Until the last week, I wrote just 3000 words a week, which is bad, considering I planned to release the new book by June.
At this point, I'm not sure I will make it.

Working from home made everything difficult.
When, in the beginning, we all were saying that finally, we proved that people can work remotely from home. 
Now I can say that, although this is certainly possible for my job, it's nearly impossible for the organization of my time. 
It turned out that I am one of those people who needs a place far from home to take care of their job.
I don't know whether it's something I need to get used to, but I'm considering returning to my working place. 
There, I have my own room, and when the door is closed, and nobody is allowed in, it's like a second quarantine place.
I haven't yet returned there, but I will make a test to see whether this can be a viable option.
There is, though, a silver lining on this situation, and I can see the end of this long inspiration-less period. Yesterday I could reach my 3000 words written, hoping this means that my imaginary friends are back. Yet, there's still the problem of organizing my daily routine, which I hope I will be able to fix a bit in the following days. Meantime, let's keep ourselves and our neighbor safe, keep distancing, and try to remain sane in this nerve-wracking period.

1 comment:

  1. It is a strange time. No need to feel guilty if you don't always reach your 3,000 words on time. Sometimes inspiration comes at it's own pace and cannot be rushed, especially with all the outside distractions right now.

    ReplyDelete

The long road of writing a book.

Publishing a book is a journey on a rocky path that involves several stages, from writing and pre-editing to editing, formatting, selecting ...