Saturday, August 25, 2018

Hat change... again! The Excited Writer

I have to be totally honest with you, I was taken entirely by surprise, and the last couple of days I felt like living in a parallel Universe.
It all started months ago, to be precise in July. I was looking for new marketing material and information on how to improve my strategy when I came across a link for submitting my new novel to an award.
If there is something I have learned in these two years of being an author is that awards are quite powerful tools to provide credibility. It can convey the attention of potential readers and of potential publishers.
Moreover, the prize was yummy, a bounty of incredible marketing services, and that was too good to leave it. 
To be honest, I am not looking for a traditional publisher but should any of them be interested in my work, I might take the chance into serious consideration. Now, I did submit my novel "The ghosts of Morgan street" without any expectation of whatsoever. They accepted the entry and gave me a link to the voting page to gather votes for my nomination.

My second name is PROCRASTINATION, so guess what happened? I forgot to share it with all my contact and social pages.
"Oh, well," I said, "with the next chance I will set up a reminder twice a day to share events that need votes."
I totally forgot about it when an email arrived from the organizer of the award:

"SAY WHAT??" I made it to the semifinals, and the 10 finalists would be announced the 21st of August 08:00 PM EST time.
A small calculation to realize that it meant 03:00 AM in Finland... sleeping like a baby.
Again I thought that if there had been anything significant they would have also sent me an email, so I didn't worry about it too much.
The 21st of August arrived, and I woke up in the night for a glass of water. Looking at the clock I noticed that within ten minutes the ten finalists would have been announced on
live streaming, so I considered that I could stay awake for a while.
I connected to the live streaming and waited, as they reached the "Thriller section," I heard something too familiar, my name and my novel were called.
My comment:
Dropping dead!
I was one of the ten finalists that have to travel to Columbus Ohio and speak to an audience about my novel.
That was enough to say goodbye to all the chances to fall asleep again, and I didn't even care, too bad that I had to be very silent not to wake up my husband.
So October the 26th is the date when I will be presenting my book. Once again, it would be great to win the first prize, but on the other hand, I feel like I won a million bucks, for the chance given.
This tale is supposed to give other authors who are self-publishing and keeping their dreams alive, an encouragement to apply for every single award existing. Everything that can give you a small chance to grow up is something that should be taken. Never believe "I will never even reach the finals" because if I did it... well you too.
One thing I remember, and I will keep within myself for the rest of my life is what my former employer said to me when I left the company for a higher position in a bigger company.
"Being a great professional is everything in the career, but if you are not in the right place at the right time, quite a few your skills can do to you. You have them all, so I am glad for the chance you got, and you were able to grab."
So here my message to you, believe in your dream and shoot as high as you can, you might be just the right person at the right time.
Have a great weekend and STAY TUNED!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on receiving a well-deserved honor for your writing. It's a crying shame about travel requirements which should be out of the picture.

    ReplyDelete

The long road of writing a book.

Publishing a book is a journey on a rocky path that involves several stages, from writing and pre-editing to editing, formatting, selecting ...