Saturday, March 7, 2020

The Wandering Writer and the Coronavirus

For a person like me who has been traveled around the world for a long time, I feel absolutely frustrated about the restrictions Coronavirus is putting on my best source of information and knowledge.

The new coronavirus has a very fast spreading rate, yet, the mortality rate (<3%) is far lower than the SARS (10%), MERS (34%), and Ebola (70%).

Nevertheless, it is to be noted that the concern is not the mortality, but it is on the speed with which the virus spread across the globe.
This is higher than any other outbreaks in the last century.
In my opinion, the biggest concern is not truly related to the mortality rate, but to its economical repercussions.

Having a large portion of the population set in quarantine for an undefined period can cause a large negative impact on the economy of a country.

When I was traveling to Africa during the latest period of the Ebola outbreak. In that case, we didn't get any particular restriction for that.

I am wondering whether this has something to do with the well-known theory that nobody gives a penny about Africa, and only when something touches western countries we do care.

I have scheduled travels to Italy (the reddest spot in Europe) and Iraq, which are threatened by the spreading of the virus.

Iraq doesn't have any particular restriction as they hadn't yet recorded any infection. However, the neighboring country, Iran is a red spot in the middle east, there might be the chance that Iraq will close the airport and the boundaries. My only hope is that they won't close it for the flights coming from relatively safe countries.

Nevertheless, regardless of everything, whether they can keep me away from Iraq, nobody can keep me away from Italy. I could not stay away from my family and friends, and I am ready to risk being quarantined if this will be necessary.

Try not to get overwhelmed by the paranoia.
Have a sparkling weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The long road of writing a book.

Publishing a book is a journey on a rocky path that involves several stages, from writing and pre-editing to editing, formatting, selecting ...