Saturday, March 10, 2018

Of stress and sleepless nights... The road to FREEDOM with the Wandering Writer



This is going to be a slightly different kind of post; the sort of post that tells something about the average life of each of us, with an invitation to reconsider it and see our realities from another point of view.
Since Ive started to work, immediately after graduating from the University, one constant has cursed my working life, changing of working place every three years. It seems that either I come into a company during a bad recession period or that I misjudged the company itself.
However, stress wasnt ever included into the equation and I never needed to stay at work later if not in particular situations.
Since Ive started the new job in the new firm, (which I hope and wish I can keep until the pension) stress has become my best friend and it seems to be here to stay., The tight schedule and long working days, o not simply affect my personal life, my writing career and, whats worst, my travelling life is cursed by the lack of time.
Yes, indeed, I have my holidays every year and I am collecting extra time with the overworking, but the problem is that, due to the extremely tight schedule and the kind of project I am involved in, I doubt seriously that I will ever reach the point to take all the holidays I am accumulating and be back on the road.
Fear not, this is not the end of the Wandering Writer, but lets say that it will be a limiting factor to her.
This state of stress, is helping me to see things into a different perspective. Then, when one of my colleague, last week was laughing (poor oblivious soul!) at one article stating that the members of the tribes in the Amazon jungle are the richest people in the world, an idea came suddenly lighting my path.
I would never laugh at that sentence, because it is true, and those people are the richest in the planet. It is not about luxury cars, gold jewelry, fancy houses or things like that. It is something deeper, something we all forgot because we no longer have since ages ago.
FREEDOM
The freedom of not needing money, gold, cars. The freedom of understanding you have whatever you need, and there is no need to wake up every morning to run the rat race.
Yesterday, as soon as I came back from another endless working day that drained me of all the strengths, I collected the few left and had a serious talk with my husband and we reached the conclusion that, before we both will burn out, and wont be able to do anything else, we needed an escape plan. We do not have any idea yet what this will be all about but recalling one similar talk we had four years ago, about escaping this rat race.
At that time, we werent perhaps really serious about it, but in the light of these new events, we took that old plan with the firm intention to put it into practice.
The aim?
Reaching the freedom of a simple life. I, myself, come from a family living a small-scale farm, my grandmother was a very humble person and lived her whole life taking care of her yard and animals. Her life has been probably more fulfilling than any of those who aim to reach (and even those who are already there) unspeakable wealth, gathering more stress than satisfaction.
My aim is not to reach unspeakable material wealth, but to get to the point of regaining my freedom of deciding my daily routine and the course of my life.
How are we going to do this? I will tell you very soon, as the plan develops, and the vision gets clearer. Meanwhile, we are planning another long road trip, and in the name of God, I will take that holiday at any cost!
Therefore, STAY TUNED!!!

1 comment:

  1. May you find your happy medium in life so you can find time to stop and smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete

The long road of writing a book.

Publishing a book is a journey on a rocky path that involves several stages, from writing and pre-editing to editing, formatting, selecting ...