Monday, January 16, 2017

Easy travel, loads of inspirations, and experience for The Wandering Writer

Defining me, it is not easy either for myself, and that might cause some identity crisis, I am a scientist, a novelist, an incurable dreamer, a traveler, but most of all, I am extremely curious about everything around me. Coupling travel and writing came for me also very natural as the places I visit, the cultures I meet, the people I talk to, have a tale to tell, and there is where I get my inspiration. Traveling itself might not be the real theme of my novels (otherwise they will be travel guides) but the reader might get from my stories the different cultural background I try to put in each character is easily detectable.
Nevertheless, as I promised in the previous post, here I am to tell you about another pearl in the human civilization. Once again, it has nothing extreme involved, as we remain in the sweet environment of Italy, bringing you to another very old city.
This is, in fact, the city where I was born and raised, before moving away first to Germany and then to Finland.
The Augusta Perusia, or as it is named Perugia nowadays. The origins of the city are dated back to the Etruscan age, and this can be still seen in many of the buildings and monuments like the Etruscan arch and the Etruscan well.

However, wherever you walk in the old part of the city you will be walking through the different historic periods that made the history of the city and of central Italy as well, as it is a melting pot of different ages, architectonic styles, and, also cultural heritages. 


Italy has been for centuries the hub of culture, arts and sciences, and Italian people cooperated closely with many other countries, importing cultures and exporting its own culture, and you will always be able to detect this particular, by walking around, admiring the buildings and comparing them to the French, German, Spanish and Arabic cultures.
The city of Perugia, likewise many other in Italy were built taking advantage of the local topography, dominated by gentle hills and surrounded by the mountain chain of the Apennines, that offered a wider view on the surrounding valleys, in order to spot every threat .
Today, the same topographic advantage is used to admire the beautiful valley, gently sloping to the main rivers, that carved the sinuous shapes between the hills.
It is now a source if inspiration for artists, thinkers, poets and writers, just like me. I have been spent hours and hours losing my mind in those panoramas, fading away in the horizon, where the land meets the sky.

and Sun leads the way to the next destination, eventually. Nowadays, I do not go back there much often, but I keep in my heart the sweet memories of the countryside, those places full of peace that inspired my solitary walks. Those places where you know you are never alone, where the woods talk to you, leading your path to unknown and hidden places where the soul found in more than one occasion relief and true happiness.
Every time a problem bothered my soul, or I found myself at a turning point, and I didn’t know which path I had to take; there I knew, I could find the right answers. All I needed to do, was walking, and listen to the voices of the woods, which much probably, translated the voice of my inner self.
I thought it wouldn’t be hard to leave those places, and for a very long time, being far from them didn’t bother me at all, perhaps going on with the years, I start to value what I left behind, and what I need to find back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The long road of writing a book.

Publishing a book is a journey on a rocky path that involves several stages, from writing and pre-editing to editing, formatting, selecting ...